Setting Intentions to Create Your Own Destiny
A thing intended; an aim or plan. An act or instance of determining mentally upon some action or result. The end or object intended; purpose. Intentions: purpose or attitude toward the effect of one’s actions or conduct.
Medicine: Healing process of a wound.
You are what your deepest desire is. As your desire is, so is your intention. As your intention is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny.
– Taken from the Vedic Text
We’ve been hearing this word a lot lately, haven’t we? What does it mean exactly? How can we apply it to our lives?
Intentions are the start of every dream we have or want.
The concept of setting intentions is essentially the law of attraction and the power of positive thinking. The belief behind intentions is that what you think and say will eventually manifest into reality in your life. Consequently, your life at this moment; where you work, how much money you make, where you live, who you are in a relationship with, are all directly related to your past thoughts. Intentions are like the map of your life to tell your conscience where to go, what roads to take and whether to take that left or right.
4 simple steps for setting intentions:
- Be clear on what you want; write it down and say it loud. The old saying “Be careful what you wish for” is so fitting in this instance. Your intentions will come to fruition, so be sure you really want what you are sending out.
- Now, find a quiet a place, turn on some soft, lyrical-free music, and meditate. Let your mind go into a nothingness. Quiet all the noise and thoughts that go on in your mind. This takes some practice. What you want to do here is to plant your seed of intention. Imagine a seedling that is planted in the ground. It needs to be completely covered in dirt, in a dark place. This is where you are planting your intention.
- After your mind slips into a stillness, that is where you plant your intention. Visualize what you want, really imagine it in real life. For example, if your intention is to find the love of your life, imagine you and someone else holding hands, talking into the night, going on long walks, etc. Or if your intention is that you want to buy a house, imagine this home, imagine a for sale sign that says “sold”, imagine signing the papers on your home, living in this home, fixing it up, etc. Make it real in your mind. Hold onto this visualization for as long as your mind will let you. Once you start thinking of other things like that email you haven’t answered yet, or the trash that needs to be taken out, stop, breathe and end your meditation session. Meditation is like exercise for your brain. The more you do it the stronger you get. When you meditate regularly you will notice that your meditation sessions will last longer and that your focus gets stronger.
- Finally, let it go. Stop thinking about what you want, don’t be anxious about it, don’t be fearful or nervous about it, just simply let it go. Have full faith that now your intention is set and is on its journey to manifest itself. Detach from the outcome and trust.
The most important aspect of an intention is letting it go once it is set. Think of throwing a boomerang. You have to let it go in order for it to come back. Have faith and trust that the universe has got this and has listened and is acting. If you are anxious or nervous about the intention you set, those feelings will manifest themselves and sabotage your original intention. JUST LET IT GO.
Sometimes I will write my intentions on a piece of paper, meditate on them, set them aside, then set the paper alight. I visualize the ashes of my written intentions floating up into the air and riding the cosmic energy stream that carries out our destinies. In a sense, you can say that we are in control of our own destinies. What we think and dream of and put energy into comes back around. As the great Deepak Chopra says, “Everything that happens in the universe begins with intention”.
Check this article out for more on the power of asking for what you want.